Start night before soaking beans (see notes). Serves 50 people
(Vegan, Gluten Free)
750g Dried pinto beans
750g Dried black beans (You can use other beans including black eyed peas, chickpeas, kidney beans depending on what’s available)
18 Onions, chopped
½ Large head celery chopped
15 Courgettes diced (1cm)
3 Red capsicum, chopped (or more if budget allows!)
3.5kg Chopped tomatoes (canned)
3 300g cans Tomato paste
2T Garlic, crushed
1-3 tsp Cayenne pepper (depending on spice needed)
8 Vegetable stock cubes
3T Mixed herbs
- Soak the beans overnight, rinse and cook for about 2 hours, then rinse well again.
- Fry the onion until soft.
- Add the celery and garlic and fry until soft.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, including the beans, except the red capsicum.
- Mix well and bring to the boil. Add water to the right consistency (thick stew).
- Turn heat right down and simmer for 20 mins.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning. Can add salt if needed. If a little bitter, add 2tsp brown sugar.
- Add the red capsicum shortly before serving and mix in.
This is particularly delicious made in the morning and left to sit for the day before eating for dinner.
Serve with nachos (make sure you get dairy and wheat free!), cheese, sour cream, salad, guacamole, salsa, chilli, sweetcorn, hummus, or whatever else you fancy. Alternatively serve with rice and corn.