Makes 80 small-ish biscuits
Tasty reduced sugar, whole grain biscuits. (Vegetarian, can be Vegan)
To make this recipe vegan replace the butter with coconut oil. Replace the eggs with chia seeds. (Use 3 tablespoons chia seeds and mix with 12 tablespoons water, leave it to sit for 10 minutes then add at the egg stage). If you want a lighter biscuit you could fold in a portion of aquafaba. (about 3/4 cup – as much as you get from one can chickpeas).
250g butter, softened
1/2 cup molasses or soft brown sugar (about 100g)
3 teaspoons rice malt syrup or glucose syrup
6 teaspoons vanilla essence
3 cups wholemeal flour
2 cups rolled oats
3 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground cloves (optional)
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon orange oil (or zest of one orange)
2 tablespoon chia seeds
Large handful raisins (optional)
50mls water/almond milk/puréed orange if mixture too thick.
Pre-heat oven to 200°C
- Blend butter and sugar well together (I used a food processor up to stage 6)
- Add eggs to the mixture one at a time until just mixed.
- Add vanilla essence and rice malt syrup and mix
- Add the spices, salt and orange oil or zest and mix.
- Add the flour and mix until just combined (don’t over mix or the biscuits go hard)
- Tip this mixture into a large bowl and stir in the oats and chia seeds.
- Stir in the raisins if using.
- If the mixture seems too thick add some extra liquid. If you used orange zest, you could purée the inside of the orange and add orange pulp, otherwise a milk or water will do.
- Chill for 15 minutes or a little longer if you have time.
- Use a good non-stick baking tray or line a tray with a silicone liner or baking paper.
- Place a teaspoon of mixture onto the tray and flatten with a fork or your fingers. (If they stick, dip your fingers in water first and then flatten)
- Place in pre-heated oven and cook for approximately 11 mins or until golden.
- Cool on a wire rack and try not to scoff them all at once!Store in an airtight container