A basic Thai red curry recipe which is easily adapted to suit your own ingredients (Vegan, Gluten Free)
Don’t worry if you don’t have all the ingredients. Be creative!
15 cups dried red lentils, rinsed x2 and soaked overnight
1.5kg frozen peas
4 tablespoons oil
440g vegan mild red curry paste (2 small jars)
1 tablespoon garam masala (contains no chilli)
2 tablespoon mild curry powder
1 tablespoon sugar
4 tablespoon garlic, crushed
4 tablespoon root ginger, crushed
3 cans tomato paste/puree
8 cubes veg stock (salt reduced) dissolved in 1 cup hot water
2-3 400ml cans coconut cream (add two and adjust)
- Heat oil in large saucepan and fry onions until soft.
- Add all the spices and mix well.
- Add the tomato paste and mix again, bring to a simmer.
- Add the lentils, coconut cream and veg stock. Add water slowly as the lentils absorb it. This needs to be thick but not dry. Add the frozen peas once the lentils are cooked.
- Can be served as is with rice. (see veg curry for rice cooking details)
Or placed in oven trays, sprinkle with seeds (linseeds or sesame seeds) and bake.
Or served with veges.
You can add extra vegetables if you have them and want to bulk it out such as green beans, sweetcorn, cauliflower, spinach, silverbeet. (Not root veges as it is already high carbohydrate)