Serves 50. A spicy side dish that goes especially well with curries, dahls and lentil dishes (Vegan, Gluten Free)
3 cabbage (any sort, but I love savoy), shredded finely.
10 tablespoons of a mixture of seeds: cumin, mustard, coriander, poppy, fenugreek.
40-50 curry leaves (if possible – buy from the Indian store)
2 cups desiccated coconut
6 onions – finely chopped
2 tablespoons garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons fresh ginger, crushed
4 tablespoons oil
dried or fresh chilli as desired.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in large saucepan and fry onion until soft.
- Add half the curry leaves plus the garlic, ginger, coconut, salt and pepper and a small amount of water and cook for a few minutes until softened.
- Add the shredded cabbage and stir well. Cook with lid on until just tender (stirring often). Add more water if needed, but this should be a dry dish. (you are steaming, not boiling the cabbage).
- Leave until just before serving time and slowly reheat.
- At the very end, in a new saucepan, heat the oil. Add the seeds, rest of curry leaves and chilli (if using) when they sizzle as soon as touching the oil. Cover and turn down the heat a little. Wait for the mustard seeds to stop popping.
- Pour this mixture over the cabbage, mix well and serve
Pictured (bottom right) with dahl and korma