Single serve. This recipe has been calorie counted and is suitable for those on an intermittent fasting diet of 400 kcals, however it is tasty enough for all the family, just multiply up to feed more! Vegan, Gluten Free
80g dry puy or beluga lentils – 230kcal
100g silver beet, chopped – 17.5kcal
60g courgette, sliced into approx 5-7mm rounds – 10kcal
70g mushrooms, chopped roughly – 15kcal
5g garlic, chopped finely – 7.5kcal
5g smokey sundried tomatoes (about 1) – 12 kcal
5g capers – 1 kcal
70g chopped onion (1cm pieces) – 28kcal
8g sesame seeds – 46kcal
juice of 2 limes or 1 lemon
2 teaspoon tamari soy sauce
salt, pepper, 1 teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon berbere spice mix or curry powder.
120g cabbage, chopped – 32kcal.
Total: 399kcal (the extra 1 kcal is for the lime juice, tamari and spices 🙂 )
- Soak the lentils in hot water overnight, or for as long as you can – anything more than 30 mins is ideal.
- Drain, rinse and cover with fresh water. Bring to boil and cook until tender (about 20 mins). Add pinch salt halfway through cooking. Drain and rinse. Meanwhile….
- Heat a non-stick pan, when hot, toast the sesame seeds until golden and set aside in a bowl (you will be adding everything to this bowl eventually so pick a big enough one to mix in)
- Next, add about 20mls water to the pan and then add the onion, fry until soft, then add the berbere spice mix (or curry powder) and mix well so the onions are all covered. Cook for a couple of mins, turning constantly (it will stick a bit).
- Then add the courgette, mushrooms, garlic. Fry until just soft and ideally a little browned – don’t over cook.
- Add all these veges to the bowl with the sesame.
- Finely chop the sundried tomato and add to the bowl.
- Drain/rinse the capers and add.
- Bring about 4cm water to the boil (pinch of salt if you wish) in the pan and add the silverbeet. Cook until wilted – about 4-5 mins. Drain.
- Bring another 4cm water to the boil (or save the silverbeet water if you are organised), and add the cabbage – cook until tender (4-5 mins), drain.
- Add the lentils and silverbeet to the other veggies and mix well.
- Add the tamari, paprika, lime juice and salt/pepper to taste.
- Mix well.
Serve in a bowl with the cabbage on the side.