Single serve, obviously you can multiply it up to make several portions to share with others or freeze for later. Designed to be the main meal for Intermittent Fasting but tasty and filling enough for anyone. Vegan & Gluten Free
80g dry red lentils – 256kcal
95g chopped onion (½ med) – 40kcal
50g chopped capsicum or mushrooms, or 60g silverbeet (use what you have!) – 10kcal
⅓ can (133g) tinned tomatoes – 40kcal
3g curry powder – 6kcal
4.5g vegetable stock – 7kcal
3g garam masala – 5kcal
⅓ cup chopped coriander – 1kcal
125g chopped savoy cabbage – 32kcal (but any cabbage or cauliflower will do)
15g alfalfa sprouts – 3kcal
salt, pepper, chilli flakes to taste.
- Boil some water in the kettle.
- Place the lentils in a small saucepan and cover with boiling water. Add ½ teaspoon curry powder and ½ teaspoon turmeric. Leave for 30-90 mins (while you go out for a walk or run….)
- Drain the lentils and rinse.
- Place back in the saucepan, cover with water (about ½ cm above level of lentils) and bring to boil. Simmer while you are cooking everything else. When they look about ½ done (just soft), add the veg stock and another ½ teaspoon curry powder.
- Meanwhile in another small pan – ideally non-stick, add about 10mls water and bring to the boil.
- Add the onion and stir well while it softens.
- When the onion is soft and starting to brown add the tinned tomatoes and coriander. Simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Add vegetable mix to the lentils.
- Add more water if needed (you are looking for a thick soup consistency)
- Add the capsicum/mushroom/silverbeet.
- Reusing your non-stick pan, add about 2 inches water and bring to the boil. Add ¼ teaspoon salt.
- Add the cabbage and boil until soft/tender (about 5 mins).
- Add the garam masala to the dahl and stir.
- Taste dahl and season with salt and pepper, and chilli if you like.
Serve as per the photo with some delicious alfalfa sprouts.
I made this for myself after a gruelling 11km hill run. It was almost as much as I could bear not to snack while it was cooking, but I was feeling pretty full afterwards.