Makes 4-6 portions. This is a wonderful accompaniment to dahl. Freezes well and delicious as leftovers. Vegan, Gluten Free.
If it’s not Brussels sprout season, you can substitute any cabbage…
Tempeh is very healthy, but doesn’t taste of much, so you need to give it flavours to absorb (or buy it marinated – make sure the company haven’t added loads of fat and honey to it!)
400g shredded Brussels sprouts (or cabbage etc)
200g tempeh (you can buy this marinated if it doesn’t have too much oil or honey etc added. Alternatively, chop finely (about 1cm cubes) and leave to marinate in a mixture of vegetable or mushroom stock, marmite (dissolved in a little warm water), soy sauce, and spices. Leave for as long as possible, but at least 30 mins.
2.5 tablespoons shredded coconut
6g chilli (ideally fresh, chopped, but dried is okay too) (optional)
1.5 tablespoons lime juice (or lemon)
2-4 garlic cloves
½ large bunch coriander (chopped)
100g onions (roughly chopped)
- Place the onions, garlic, chilli and lime juice into a food processor and whizz until finely chopped.
- Place in a large, non-stick pan with a good lid.
- Heat for 5-7 minutes, stirring throughout, until just cooked.
- Add the tempeh and cook, stirring occasionally until browned.
- Add the Brussels sprouts and coconut, stir well.
- Add a little water (about 1-2 tablespoons) to the pan and steam until sprouts cooked (about 7-10 minutes) with the lid on.
- Add the coriander and stir well. Cook for another two minutes.
- Taste and if it needs more salt, add 1-2 teaspoon tamari or soy sauce.
Pictured served with dahl and roasted beetroot