Makes 45 small biscuits. Vegan, Gluten free, Sugar free.
2 cups teff flour
1/3 cup rice flour (optional)
1/3 cup ground tapioca (or arrowroot)
¼ cup ground linseed (flaxseed) – could use ground chia seeds.
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon ground cardamom
2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground mixed spice
1 teaspoon ground all spice
½ teaspoon ground cloves (optional)
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup shredded coconut.
1 apple – cored (not peeled) finely chopped. (little cubes approx. 5mm)
15 dates – roughly chopped
3 ripe (or overripe) bananas
¼ cup coconut oil, melted.
Pre-heat the oven to 180°C
Prepare 3 non-stick trays (ideally a silicone liner on each tray, or baking paper)
Also fill a small bowl with water (to use as a finger bowl later)
- Mix all the dry ingredients together.
- Mash the bananas and mix in the melted coconut oil.
- Add to the dry ingredients, and mix well with your hands. It will be sticky.
- Add the dates and apple and mix so they are well distributed throughout the mixture.
- Scrape all the mixture off your hands with a knife or spatula.
- Wet your fingers from the finger bowl and rub a sheen of water over them.
- Pick up a small amount of mixture (try and get at least one date and few apple pieces per glob). Roll in your hands and press down onto the baking sheet. Each ball is about the size of a pingpong ball.
- Repeat until all the mixture is used up. You’ll need to wet your hands a few times during the batch to stop the mixture sticking to you rather than itself.
- Place in the oven for about 20-25 mins or until starting to brown.
Leave to cool, then scoff (but preferably not all at once!) The biscuits should be moist rather than crisp.
Store them in an airtight container