Makes 10 decent portions, or 15-20 as part of a potluck meal. A light and flavoursome addition to a potluck dessert selection, or ideal for a party (for any confused N.Americans this is a dessert dish not a spread!). Vegan, Gluten Free
1kg frozen mixed berries (or boysenberries, or whatever is on special offer )
1 teaspoon agar agar
2 tablespoon chia seeds (optional)
sprinkling cocoa nibs.
- Place the berries in a saucepan and slowly heat as they defrost. Juice will separate from the berries. Once completely defrosted (or even warming through), pour into a sieve to strain the juice into a bowl. You should have approx. 1.5-2cups.
- Pour the juice back into the saucepan and add the agar agar. Stir well and leave to sit for a few minutes while it hydrates.
- Place the fruit in the bowl and whizz with your whizz stick blender (or mash well) to a purée.
- Heat the juice until it boils and then simmer, stirring for 3-4 mins.
- Mix in the puree and bring back to the boil.
- Stir in the chia seeds if using and turn off the heat.
- Pour into a serving dish (a soufflé dish or medium sized bowl is good).
- Place in a cool area or into the fridge.
- After 20 mins sprinkle cocoa nibs on top.
- Cool for another hour or more.
- It should set to a lovely traditional jelly texture.
It is sweet enough to have just as it is.
If multiplying this recipe up for larger groups it is better to make it in several medium bowls or a roasting tray rather than a large bowl in order to get it to set properly.