Bulk quantities, serves 50ish. Both simple to make, hummus and guacamole are excellent for meals and snacks. Soak the chickpeas the night before for hummus. Vegan, Gluten Free
Make loads of this and have it out for lunch every day to go with bread or salad.
900g dried chickpeas, soaked overnight and rinsed. Cook in lots of water for 90 mins or more if needed. Aim for creamy/buttery texture. Rinse well.
1 300g jar unhulled tahini (can use hulled)
Juice of 4 lemons
2 tablespoons crushed garlic
- Puree the chickpeas with a food processor or hand whizz. (you can mash them if needed)
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix to a smooth paste.
- Taste and add more seasoning as needed. (lemon juice and salt are good if the tahini is a little bitter)
For variation add smoked paprika, chopped fresh herbs, chopped olives or sundried tomatoes. Or cooked vegetables eg beetroot or kumara
Goes really well with nachos, and can be used as a dip with crudités and crackers.
Ripe avocados – as many as you have (for 50 people, 10-15 is ideal)
Lemon juice – about 3-4, plus the rind of one or two.
Tamari (or gluten free soy) sauce – 1-3 tablespoonfuls.
1 tablespoon crushed garlic.
Salt and pepper to taste.
- Mash the avocados well, Mix in the other ingredients.
- Taste and add extra seasoning as needed.
You can also add finely chopped tomato, a bit of red onion, fresh coriander, parsley or basil etc. for variety.