In South India and Sri Lanka it’s common to have a small dish of fresh vegetables to accompany a more substantial curry. Green beans are easy to come by fresh or frozen, so you can whip this up any time. Vegan, Gluten Free
1 teaspoon rapeseed oil
300g green beans, topped, tailed and cut into 1.5cm pieces
3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
2-4cm piece ginger – grated.
1 green chilli, very finely chopped
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
⅓ teaspoon salt
3½ tablespoons desiccated coconut
- Heat the oil in a non stick pan then add the green beans. Cook slowly, turning occasionally until they start to brown.
- Add the garlic, ginger and chilli, stir well and cook for a couple of minutes until just browning (or starting to stick).
- Add the coconut, salt and lime juice. Stir well.
- If very dry, add some extra water. (you can do this again if needed, as it will boil off quickly).
- Cook for another 2-5 minutes while the coconut and spices give out their flavour, then serve.