I often find falafel can be quite dry and corn fritters quite unhealthy as made with lots of white flour. This quick and easy combo solves both problems as the fritter binder is now made with seasoned chickpea or fava bean and the sweetcorn keeps the fritters moist. It’s an easy recipe using packaged ingredients which makes it good for those days when you are time or energy poor.
Vegetarian/Vegan, Gluten free (depending on your falafel mix)
Packet of falafel mix plus whatever the instructions tell you you need to mix it up (eg oil, water, egg etc)
400g tin of sweetcorn – kernels or creamed
chilli powder or other seasoning – optional
a little extra oil for cooking – optional
- Buy your favourite dry falafel mix – I’ve been using Orgran brand, but any will do – just check they have only used expected ingredients!
- Mix it up according to the instructions, but make it a little wetter by adding more water slowly. You are aiming for a very thick pancake mix rather than semi-solid. Leave to stand for 5-10 minutes.
- Open a tin of sweetcorn (no added salt or sugar ideally).
- Mix sweetcorn into wet falafel mix.
- Add a little chilli powder if you like.
- Heat a non-stick pan. You can add a little oil or not – these are lovely without. Place dollops of the fritter mix in the pan and cook gently until set through. Turn and cook until golden brown on both sides.
- Eat immediately as you won’t be able to resist!