When you need to ‘take a plate’ to a pot luck meal these tasty nibbles are a winner, also good as a starter or for a tapas style meal. Vegan & Gluten Free
1 large potato (grated)
2-3 large carrots (grated)
2-3 tablespoons pre cooked, chopped (or frozen and defrosted) silverbeet
1 tablespoon ground linseed/flax seed
2-3 tablespoons cooked brown rice (whizzed in good processor)
1 onion, chopped
1-2 teaspoons chopped garlic
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground pepper
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
1-2 tablespoons falafel mix (if you have it)
1 tablespoon Italian herbs
1 tablespoon olive oil
- Lightly fry the onion and when just soft add the garlic. Cook for another couple of minutes. Don’t let it stick.
- Add the rice and mix well. Cook for a minute or so.
- Grate the potato and place in microwaveable bowl. Add ½ salt. Microwave on high for 8 minutes.
- Grate the carrots. Add to the potato and add the rest of the salt. Mix in. Microwave for another 5 minutes. Should be just soft.
- Add all the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Should be just moist. Add a little extra water if too dry.
- Leave to sit if you can for it to cool and the powders to absorb moisture. (This helps the latkes bind together). Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Heat a non stick pan. Add a little oil if needed (shouldn’t be if your pan is good).
Add 1 dessert spoonful to the pan and press down into a pattie.
- Cook for a few minutes until golden, flip them over and repeat.
These are great as a nibble for a party or potluck. Also good as a side dish.
You can use a number of things for flavour – I think nutmeg would be a good addition and also caraway. (Lightly toast the seeds first).
The binding is from ground seeds, nuts, grains or legumes. I used flax seed, cooked brown rice and falafel mix as I had them to hand. However, if you have some ‘homemade, dehydrated, legume based’ soup, that would work. As would almond flour. If needed a nut butter could also work.
Feel free to play around and let me know any good combinations you come up with!